The Child Care in New York State dashboard provides information on child care related statistics for each county in the state. This includes the number of children, the number of child care slots, demographic information, child care costs and occupational and industry data.
The dashboard can help you understand the child care landscape in your county or region.
The dashboard below can be used to explore the data in multiple ways:
Explore The Ratio of Children Under 6 to Child Care Capacity by County – Provides a general overview of New York State’s child care capacity at the county and statewide level.
Explore Child Care Capacity and Population Statistics by County – Provides a more detailed view of child care capacity and demographics at the county level.
Explore Child Care Prices and Median Incomes by County – Provides information on the cost of child care by age and type and income and labor force statistics at the county level.
Explore New York’s Child Care Industry and Occupations - Allows you to explore child care industry statistics by labor market region and occupational and wage statistics for the most common child care jobs at the statewide level
To view answers to frequently asked questions regarding the data in this dashboard, please visit our Child Care in New York State Frequently Asked Questions.
To learn more about how to use Tableau and download data, check out our guide Tableau Tips for the Web.
Child Care Capacity
- The child care capacity data for counties outside of New York City is from the New York State Office of Children and Family Services.
- New York City child care capacity data is from the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.
- The demographic information for counties in New York State is coming from the ACS 5-year base and subject tables below:
- 2021 ACS 5-Year Estimates: B09001 Population Under 18 by Age
- 2021 ACS 5-Year Estimates: B02001 Race
- 2021 ACS 5-Year Estimates: B03003 Hispanic or Latino Origin
- 2021 ACS 5-Year Estimates: B19119 Median Family Income
- 2021 ACS 5-Year Estimates: S1701 Poverty Status in the Past 12 Months
- 2021 ACS 5-Year Estimates: S2001 Median Earnings Full Time Year-Round workers
- The 5-year estimates from the ACS are "period" estimates that represent data collected over a period of time. The primary advantage of using multiyear estimates is the increased statistical reliability of the data for less populated areas and small population subgroups. For more information on the ACS 5-year estimates, please visit: https://www.census.gov/data/developers/data-sets/acs-5year.html.
Child Care Costs
- Child care costs were calculated using the 2022 New York State Market Rates per county cluster group based on the 80th percentile of the 2021-2022 New York State Child Care Market Rate Survey.
- Regional industry data are based on the Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages (QCEW) report.
- For more information, please see: https://dol.ny.gov/quarterly-census-employment-and-wages.
- Statewide occupation and wage data are based on the Occupational Employment and Wage Statistics (OEWS) survey, which collects information from approximately 44,400 establishments.
- For more information, please see: https://dol.ny.gov/occupational-wages-0