General Information

The Statement for Recipients of Certain Government Payments (1099-G) tax forms are now available for New Yorkers who received unemployment benefits in calendar year 2020. This tax form provides the total amount of money you were paid in benefits from NYS DOL in 2020, as well as any adjustments or tax withholding made to your benefits. Benefits paid to you are considered taxable income. You must include this form with your tax filing for the 2020 calendar year.

The 1099-G tax form includes the amount of benefits paid to you for any the following programs: Unemployment Insurance (UI), Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA), Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC), Extended Benefits (EB), Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC), and Lost Wages Assistance (LWA).


Update – 12/1/21: If you received notice DTF-960-E from the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance, follow the instructions on the letter to pay the amount due or to informally protest this notice. This webpage provides information about how to access your 1099-G tax form and/or request a new 1099-G tax form if yours is incorrect.

Note: If you believe you may be the victim of fraud or identity theft, you likely will be unable to download your 1099-G tax form online or request it through NYS DOL’s phone system. To access the 1099-G tax form associated with your Social Security Number, submit a fraud report at and indicate that you received a determination from the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance.

How to get your 1099-G tax form

You may choose one of the two methods below to get your 1099-G tax form:

  • Online:
    The 1099-G form for calendar year 2020 will be available in your online account at to download and print by the end of January 2021.
    To access this form, please follow these instructions: How to Get Your 1099-G online.


  • Phone:
    If you do not have an online account with NYSDOL, you may call:
    This is an automated phone line that allows you to request your 1099-G via U.S. Mail. The form will be mailed to the address we have on file for you. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Is the 1099-G a bill?     
No, it is not a bill. It is a tax form showing how much you were paid in benefits from NYSDOL in a specific calendar year.

Q: What do I do with the 1099-G tax form?     
You must include the form with your tax return and include the benefits you were paid in your earnings for the applicable calendar year. If you use a tax preparer or you e-file, be sure to include the 1099-G form with your other tax information for the calendar year. Consult with your tax preparer or the NYS Department of Tax and Finance if you have questions about your 1099-G form. You may also be eligible to e-file for free. For more information about filing New York State income taxes, go to:

Q: The address on my 1099-G tax form is wrong. Will that affect my return? 
No, as long as the Social Security Number printed on the form is correct. 

Q: If I repaid an overpayment, will it appear on my 1099-G tax form?
Certain payments will show on your 1099-G tax form. They will be listed on the form in Box 2 Adjustments. These include:

  • Cash payments you sent to pay back your overpaid benefits
  • Your income tax refunds that were used to pay back your overpaid benefits

These payments will not show on your 1099-G form: 

  • Payments you made to cover penalties
  • Unemployment Insurance benefits that were used to pay back your overpayment


Q: Can I have my tax withholding returned to me?
The Department of Labor cannot return any withheld taxes to you. Only the federal or state government can return those to you as part of your income tax refund.


Q: What should I do if I submitted my taxes before the American Rescue Plan was passed?
As each person’s tax liability is unique to them, NYS DOL refers New Yorkers to guidance from the IRS. For information about refunds related to recalculated taxes, please visit the IRS website.


Q: What should I do if I received notice DTF-960-E from the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance?

If you agree with the information included in this determination, you may pay the proposed amount due in any of the following ways. You must also complete and return the consent section on page 4 of the notice.

  • Online at
  • By calling the Tax Department at (518) 457-5434 and using the PIN indicated in their letter
  • Or mail the coupon enclosed in their letter to: NYS Assessment Receivables, PO Box 4127, Binghamton, NY 13902-4127

If you disagree with the information included in this determination, you may informally protest the notice through the instructions on page 2 of the notice. If you informally protest the amount, you are not required to pay the proposed amount due. However, interest and penalty will continue to accrue. You may protest the proposed amount due:

  • Online at
  • By calling the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance at (518) 485-5909.
  • Or by mailing or faxing the protest (following the instructions in the letter) to NYS Assessment Receivables, PO Box 4128, Binghamton, NY 13902-4128, or Fax: (518) 435-8521.

The tax department will review the information and, if appropriate, revise the proposed amount due.


Q: What can I do if I received notice DTF-960-E from the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance, but I never filed for unemployment benefits?

If you receive noticed DTF-960-E but did not file for unemployment benefits and believe you may be a victim of fraud or identity theft, follow these steps:

  1. File a fraud report with NYS DOL at, indicating that you received this letter from the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance. NYS DOL will review your report and send out a corrected 1099-G tax form as appropriate. Note: You must follow this step even if you previously filed a fraud report. Any previous fraud report(s) stopped the claim(s) in your name from being paid.
  2. Once you’ve received an amended 1099-G tax form in the mail from NYS DOL, submit an information protest through the directions outlined on page 2 of the notice (DTF-960-E) from the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance.

Q: Are unemployment benefits exempt from income tax?

The total amount of unemployment benefits you received is taxable to New York State under New York State tax law. While you may be eligible to exclude a portion of your unemployment benefits on your federal tax return, there is no exclusion in New York State.

1099-G Form Breakdown

The information on the 1099-G tax form is provided as follows: 

  • Box 1: Unemployment Compensation - This box includes the dollar amount paid in benefits to you during the calendar year.
  • Box 2: Adjustments - This box includes cash payments and income tax refunds used to pay back overpaid benefits.
  • Box 4: Federal Income Tax Withheld - This box includes the total amount of federal income taxes withheld from your benefits during the calendar year. 
  • Box 11: State Income Tax Withheld - This box includes the total amount of state income taxes withheld from your benefits for the calendar year.

Disagree with your 1099-G information?


If you disagree with any of the information provided on your 1099-G tax form, you should complete the Request for 1099-G Review.  

You may send the form back to NYSDOL via your online account, by fax, or by mail.  Follow the instructions on the bottom of the form.  

Once NYSDOL receives your completed Request for 1099-G Review form, it will be reviewed, and we will send you an amended 1099-G tax form or a letter of explanation.

Notice to Representatives of Deceased Claimants

Q: How do I access the 1099-G tax form if I am the representative of a deceased claimant? 

A: For the New York State Department of Labor to provide you with information belonging to a deceased unemployment insurance claimant, you must first show that you are legally authorized to receive this information.  
Authorization often comes from the New York State Surrogate Court, and may be one of the following: 

  • Appointment as an Executor (when there is a will)
  • Letters of Administration (when there is no will)
  • Appointment as a Voluntary Administrator (when the estate is $50,000 or less)

If the deceased claimant had no assets, or all property owned by the deceased claimant was owned in common with someone else, then no Executor or Administrator may have been appointed. The representative of the deceased claimant must provide proof that they are authorized to obtain the information. In this case, a surviving spouse should provide NYS DOL with:

  1. A copy of the first page and signature page from the last federal tax return (Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ) showing that the representative and deceased claimant filed jointly or that the representative filed as a qualifying widow(er) of the deceased claimant. (Please redact the first 5 digits of social security numbers before submitting these documents.), AND
  2. A copy of the death certificate noting the representative as the spouse and a copy of their marriage certificate.  

Please submit proof that you are authorized to receive the deceased claimant’s information using one of the following methods:

  • Email: [email protected]
  • Fax:  518-457-4014
  • Mail:  NYS Department of Labor, Harriman Campus, Building 12, Room 312, Albany, NY  12240

For more information about deceased claimants, please see our frequently asked questions.