Deceased Claimants Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I get claim information for a claimant who has died?

You can request claim information for a UI claimant who has died by writing to:

New York State Department of Labor
P.O. Box 15130
Albany, NY 12212

The letter should include all of this information:

  • Your name, address, and phone number
  • Appropriate legal papers showing you as the executor or administrator of the deceased person's estate
  • Your relation to the deceased
  • The deceased person's name and Social Security number
  • What information you need
  • A copy of the death certificate

How do I retrieve a deceased claimant's unemployment benefits if I am the executor to the person's estate?

In order to retrieve funds paid to a deceased individual, you must contact the bank to which the funds were released. The Department of Labor cannot retrieve unemployment insurance benefit payments made to either a KeyBank debit card or bank account.

To request release of funds from a KeyBank debit card account, call the KeyBank Customer Service Center at 866-295-2955. To request release of funds from a bank account, contact the bank where the payments were deposited.