The On-Site Consultation Program is a resource for safety and health issues that is free to businesses. The US Department of Labor and NYS Department of Labor fund this program.* It helps employers provide a safe and healthful workplace for their employees through professional occupational safety and health assistance.
The cost associated with a workplace injury can be staggering. There are both direct and indirect costs to the employer. These costs include loss of productivity, loss of staff, training costs, and staff turnover. Yet, employers can prevent this from happening. Each year the On-Site Consultation Program staff help hundreds of businesses across the state by providing cost-effective solutions to safety and health issues.
* The NYS On-Site Consultation Program is 90% funded with $3,776,900 of federal funds.
Benefits to Using the Program
Why should an employer consider using the On-Site Consultation Program?
- It is FREE and confidential to businesses and organizations in our state,
- Independent from state and federal enforcement activities, and
- It is helpful for both the employer and the employees
There are additional benefits of the Consultation Program to the employer as well. This program can help to:
- Reduce workplace accidents by identification of hazards,
- Lessen Workers’ Compensation costs by reducing the number of claims,
- Implement safety and health programs required by OSHA, and
- Comply with OSHA regulations
The services offered include:
- On-site consultation surveys to identify safety hazards,
- Industrial hygiene surveys to determine air contaminants, noise exposure levels, and other health hazards, and
- Suggestions for mitigation, controlling or eliminating these safety and health hazards.
The On-site Consultation Program's safety and industrial hygiene professionals who perform these consultations:
- Have many years of experience
- Are well trained in understanding identification and control of hazards, and
- Have attended advanced training at the US DOL OSHA Training Institute
Training Programs available for Businesses after completion of an initial hazard survey include:
- Accident Investigation
- Hazard Communication
- Recordkeeping Rule
- Fall Protection
- Safety for Workers in the Hospitality and Tourism Industries
- Confined Space Entry
- Many more
In fact, we now offer more than 30 free courses to help educate employers and their workers. A current copy of our Training Course Catalogue, as well as other On-Site Consultation reference material, can be viewed on the On-Site Consultation Reference Material page.
For details, contact [email protected].
Safety and Health Achievement Recognition Program (SHARP)
This program is open to employers who:
- Employ less than 250 employees on site
- Employ less than 500 employees at all locations corporate-wide
- Receive a comprehensive consultation from the On-Site Consultation Program
- Correct all identified hazards
- Institute an effective safety and health program
The SHARP program qualifies employers for up to a three-year exemption from a general scheduled OSHA inspection. Employers who qualify can also take part in our SHARP developmental program. This makes employers eligible for an OSHA inspection deferral as they work towards becoming a New York State Department of Labor SHARP employer. A current list of participating businesses may be viewed on the OSHA SHARP webpage.
For details on SHARP, contact [email protected].
If you want to provide a safer workplace for your employees, call the Consultation Program office in your area and get started on a safer worksite today.
"Workplace Safety Begins with You!"
|Garden City||(516) 228-3959|
|New York City||(212) 775-3526|
|White Plains||(914) 997-9511|