The Mixed Earner Unemployment Compensation (MEUC) program provides an additional federal benefit of $100 per week if you:
- collect regular unemployment insurance (UI), Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC), or extended benefits (EB); and
- earned $5,000 or more a year in net earnings from self-employment.
The MEUC program is available beginning with the week ending January 3, 2021, to the week ending September 5, 2021.
If you receive Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) benefits, you are not eligible to apply for MEUC benefits.
You must apply to the Department of Labor to receive MEUC benefits. You are required to submit proof of your self-employment income with your MEUC application.
- The best proof of net earnings from self-employment is your federal tax return for the year before you filed for Unemployment Compensation. For most claimants, that will be 2019.
- Other proof may include, but is not limited to:
- Paycheck stubs
- Bank receipts
- Business records
- Billing statements that verify self-employment income
Please note the following:
- The New York State Department of Labor will not pay any MEUC benefits without first receiving documented proof of your net earnings from self-employment of $5,000 or more a year.
- You may apply for MEUC benefits one time only.
- MEUC payments are considered income and may affect your eligibility for Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP).
- If you are found eligible for MEUC benefits, this payment will be automatically included with the underlying benefit you are receiving.
- A false statement in connection with a MEUC application may result in a determination of fraud and the assessment of penalties, including monetary penalties.
How to Apply
You may choose one of the two methods below to apply for MEUC. Please note: The fastest and most secure way to apply for MEUC is to apply online. If you apply online, you will be able to instantly upload your proof of self-employment income with your application. Please have your tax documents ready to submit before you begin the online MEUC application.
The MEUC application form will be available in your online account at labor.ny.gov/signin. The form can be found on the “My Online Services” page, under the “Online Forms” heading on the upper-right side of the page.
If you do not have an online account with NYS DOL, you may call 1-833-719-1904.
This is an automated phone line that only allows you to apply for MEUC. If you choose to apply by phone, please be aware the Department of Labor cannot begin processing your MEUC application until you either mail or fax your proof of self-employment income. Instructions on how to mail or fax your proof of self-employment income will be provided to you on the phone system after you complete your application.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: If I receive Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA), am I eligible to apply for MEUC?
No. PUA recipients are not eligible to apply for MEUC.
Q: How will I know if I am found eligible or ineligible for MEUC?
The Department of Labor will review your MEUC application along with your proof of self-employment documentation. You will receive an eligibility determination letter by mail to the address we have on file for you.
Q. If I am found eligible for MEUC benefits, how will I receive those benefits?
If you are found eligible for MEUC benefits, this payment will be automatically included with the underlying benefit you are receiving.