Click play to learn how to file.
Create or Sign into your ny.gov account, if you already have an account created you do not need to create another account for this unemployment claim. If you have forgotten your password or have any other questions about your account refer to on.ny.gov/techhelp for assistance.
Once you have an online account created you can apply for unemployment benefits your claim online.
After logging into your account follow the steps below (as explained in the video on this page).
- Log into your NY.gov account. You will first see a welcome screen.
- Select the "File a claim" button to begin your claim.
- On the next page, carefully read the instructions about filing your claim and then press "Continue".
- You will be asked to add your social security number.
- Select a PIN (personal Identification number). Make sure to remember this number, you will be asked to use this number every single time you access your account.
- Enter your mother's maiden name (maiden name is a surname used before marriage). Make note of the spelling that you have entered. This will be used as a security question when logging into your account at a later date.
- The next screen you see will be a list of Terms and Conditions that you need to read for unemployment benefits.
- After you will be asked a series of questions about your last 18 months of employment, answer all questions accurately.
- Continue through the process by certifying for your first week of benefits.
- Choose the payment option that would work best for you if you are found eligible.
- The final step in your application would be to review your claim. You can click edit if you need to make changes. Once you have reviewed your claim and made the appropriate changes you can click "Submit".
- You should receive a confirmation page that includes important information about next steps. Print this out for your records.
If you do not have access to a computer, you can also apply by telephone by calling: 1-888-209-8124, Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
If you file by phone, we offer translation services. Use your phone keypad to enter the number for the language you choose.
**For more information and details about how to file please visit the How To File section in our File Your First Claim for Benefits page.
Were you able to file your claim? Continue on to the "Payment Options" webpage for more information about benefit payments or continue on to the "When Should I Certify" webpage for more information about weekly certifications.