The Healthy Terminals Act (A.3020-A/S.4001) was signed by Governor Cuomo on March 25, 2021. The law establishes specific standards for wage rates for covered airport workers at covered airport locations.
Section 696-b of the law requires airport employers to submit a sworn statement no later than March 31, 2021 to the Commissioner of Labor. The certifying statement must include the following information:
- The total number of workers employed by the employer at a covered airport location to perform cleaning and related services, security related services, in terminal and passenger handling services, airline catering, or airport lounge services, at the covered airport location on December 30, 2020
- The number equal to 80% of the total number of employees above (as the December 30, 2020 benchmark).
- An affirmation that the employer will ensure that the number of covered airport workers it employs at a covered airport location between July 1, 2021 and December 31, 2022 is no less than the December 30, 2020 benchmark.
- The employer certification should be sent to: [email protected]
The certification requirement also applies to any successor airport employer. Prior to employing the airport workers, a successor airport employer also must:
- Obtain the applicable December 30, 2020 benchmark from the Commissioner of Labor
- Submit an affirmation that it will ensure that the number of the covered airport workers it employs at a covered airport location between July 1, 2021 and December 31, 2022 is no less than the December 30, 2020 benchmark.