Exhausted or Expired Unemployment Insurance Benefits


On March 27, 2020, a law was signed that provides additional Unemployment Insurance (“UI”) assistance to workers impacted by COVID-19.

This new law provides:

Pandemic Unemployment Assistance: Extended eligibility for individuals who have traditionally been ineligible for UI benefits (e.g., self-employed workers, independent contractors).

Pandemic Unemployment Compensation: An additional $600 per week, on top of regular benefits, to all UI and PUA recipients until the week ending July 26, 2020.

Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation: An additional 13 weeks of UI benefits, beyond the regular 26 weeks already provided, for a total of 39 weeks of coverage.

Eligibility and Benefits

  • If your benefit year expired after July 1, 2019, you will need to file a new claim to receive 13 additional weeks of benefits.

File a Claim Now Online

  • If your benefit year has not expired, but you exhausted your 26 weeks of benefits, you should begin re-certifying to receive the additional 13 weeks of benefits.
  • If your benefit year has not expired, but you stopped claiming benefits before your 26 weeks were up (for example, if you went back to work), simply begin certifying for benefits again to start receiving Unemployment Insurance benefits.

Certify for Weekly Benefits


You may need to take an extra step to avoid delays in receiving your benefits.

If you received benefits on a prior claim by using a debit card and you no longer have the card, or if your card has expired, you must call KeyBank at 1-866-295-2955 to get a new card.

If you received benefits on a prior claim by direct deposit, any benefits due to you on this claim will go to the bank account we have on file. If your bank account has changed, please immediately update your banking information by logging into your account with your NY.gov id