The Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee (JATC) for Tile, Marble and Terrazzo BAC, Local Union #7 of NY & NJ will conduct a recruitment from June 7, 2021 through November 5, 2021 for three Tile, Marble and Terrazzo Finisher apprentices; five Tile Setter apprentices; five Terrazzo Worker apprentices; and five Marble, Carver, Cutter and Setter apprentices, the New York State Department of Labor announced today.
Applications will be available at the International Masonry Institute, 12-07 44th Avenue, Long Island City, NY from 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. on 6/7/21, 6/8/21, 6/9/21, 6/10/21, 11/1/21, 11/2/21, 11/3/21, and 11/4/21. Applications will also be available at International Union of Bricklayers & Allied Craft Workers, Local Union #5, 3281 Route 206, Bordentown, NJ from 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. on 6/11/21 and 11/5/21. Applications must be completed, and exams taken, on the day of application. Doors open at 8:00 a.m. There will be no admittance after 8:30 a.m. Processing will be until 10:00 a.m. Applications will not be accepted by mail.
The Committee requires that applicants:
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have a high school diploma or general equivalency diploma (such as a TASC or GED).
- Must have reliable means of transportation to and from various job sites and required classes at the approved school. The Union operates in New York and New Jersey states.
- Must take a Basic Assessment Skills Exam and score a minimum of 23 (out of total of 31) on the exam.
- Must take and pass a drug test, at the expense of the sponsor, after an offer of employment.
- Must sign an affidavit agreeing they are physically capable of performing the essential functions of the trade without posing a threat to the health or safety of themselves or others. The functions may include:
- Working with hand tools and power tools.
- Exposure to loud noise, hazardous machinery, hazardous voltages and respiratory irritants.
- May also include prolonged standing, climbing, walking, repeated squatting, stretching and bending.
- May be required to work under extreme weather conditions in summer and winter months.
- Every day work may be at such temperatures and in confined areas where movement is greatly limited.
- Lifting and moving heavy supplies and equipment up to 100 pounds.
- Working from ladders, scaffolds, and personnel lifts, which may exceed 100 feet.
- Must provide DD-214 Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, if applicable, after selection and prior to enrollment.
For further information, applicants should contact Tile, Marble and Terrazzo BAC, Local Union #7 of NY & NJ at (718) 706-7229. Additional job search assistance can be obtained at your local New York State Department of Labor Career Center (see: dol.ny.gov/career-centers).
Apprentice programs registered with the Department of Labor must meet standards established by the Commissioner. Under state law, sponsors of programs cannot discriminate against applicants because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability or marital status. Women and minorities are encouraged to submit applications for apprenticeship programs. Sponsors of programs are required to adopt affirmative action plans for the recruitment of women and minorities.