The Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee for Plumbers & Steamfitters, Local Union #22, will conduct a recruitment from October 18, 2022 through October 17, 2023 for five Heating, Ventilation, & Air Conditioning Mechanic apprentices, the New York State Department of Labor announced today.
Please note that the five openings listed for apprentices represent the total number for two recruitment regions, the Finger Lakes and Western regions of the state.
Applications must be obtained in person at Plumbers & Steamfitters, Local Union #22, 120 Gardenville Parkway, West Seneca, NY, 14224, from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on the third Tuesday of each month, excluding legal holidays, during the recruitment period. Applications can be returned to this same address by mail or in person. If returning applications in person, candidates may deposit their application in a drop box next to the front entrance of the facility. The drop box is available 24 hours per day, seven days a week.
The Committee requires that applicants:
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma (such as TASC or GED).
- Must provide signed statement attesting he/she can physically perform duties of a Heating, Ventilation, & Air Conditioning Mechanic.
- Must have a valid NYS driver’s license in order to operate company vehicles.
- Must have reliable means of transportation to and from various job sites and required classes at the approved school.
- Must be a resident, of at least one year, in the following counties and/or townships:
- Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Niagara, and Wyoming Counties.
- In Genesee County - the townships of Alabama, Oakfield, Elba, Pembroke, Batavia, Darien, and Alexander.
- In Orleans County - the townships of Yates, Ridgeway, and Shelby.
- In Allegany County - the townships of Allen, Alma, Amity, Angelica, Belfast, Bolivar, Caneadea, Centerville, Clarksville, Cuba, Friendship, Genesee, Granger, Hume, New Hudson, Rushford, Scio, and Wirt.
- Must pass a drug test, at the expense of the sponsor, after selection and prior to enrollment in the apprenticeship program.
- Must take and pass Work Keys Applied Mathematics, Workplace Documents and Graphic Literacy Assessment tests with a minimum score of four (out of a possible seven) in each of these categories.
For further information, applicants should contact Plumbers & Steamfitters, Local Union #22 at (716) 668-8500. Additional job search assistance can be obtained at your local New York State Department of Labor Career Center (see: dol.ny.gov/career-centers).
Apprentice programs registered with the Department of Labor must meet standards established by the Commissioner. Under state law, sponsors of programs cannot discriminate against applicants because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or marital status. Women and minorities are encouraged to submit applications for apprenticeship programs. Sponsors of programs are required to adopt affirmative action plans for the recruitment of women and minorities.