The New York Youth Jobs Program encourages businesses to hire unemployed, disadvantaged youth, ages 16 to 24, who live in New York State, with a focus on the following cities and towns: Albany, Buffalo, New York, Rochester, Schenectady, Syracuse, Mount Vernon, New Rochelle, Utica, White Plains, Yonkers, Brookhaven and Hempstead.
The legislature and Governor Andrew M. Cuomo re-authorized the program in 2018 for an additional five years. For program year 2021, businesses can earn tax credits of up to $7,500 for eligible youth starting work between January 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021. Your business must be certified to participate in the program.
To be eligible, your business must be:
- In good standing
- Located in New York State
About the Credit
The tax credit only applies to hiring employees ages 16 to 24 who are certified through the NYS Department of Labor to participate in the program. The Department of Labor will refer certified youth to your business or assist you in getting youth certified who are appropriate candidates for your business. For program year 2021, youth must start work between January 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021.
Your business may earn tax credits equal to the following amounts. If the amount of the credit exceeds your tax liability, you may receive the excess as a refund.
- If the youth is hired for a full-time position (35 hours or more per week), the maximum tax credit is $7,500. This is payable as follows:
- $750 per month, for a maximum of six months ($4,500 maximum);
- $1,500 if the youth is retained for six months beyond the first six months of employment (employed one full year) and
- $1,500 if the youth is retained for a second full year of employment.
- If the youth is hired for a part-time position (20-34 hours per week or 10-34 if the youth is enrolled in high school full time), the maximum tax credit is $3,750. This is payable as follows:
- $375 per month, for a maximum of six months ($2,250 maximum);
- $750 if the youth is retained for six months beyond the first six months of employment (employed one full year) and
- $750 if the youth is retained for a second full year of employment.
You Must Certify to Participate
To qualify for the tax credit, your business must be certified by the NYS Department of Labor. It's quick and easy to apply for certification. For program year 2021, an application for certification must be received by the Department between January 1, 2021 and November 30, 2021. You can choose to receive written notice of your business certification via email or the U.S. Postal Service.
Businesses certified for the New York Youth Jobs Program in previous program years may re-certify by simply updating their contact information and attesting to the Terms of Service Agreement by filling out and submitting the business application.
Confirmation of Hire Form
A Confirmation of Hire form must be completed for each youth hired during the program year or the hire will be ineligible for a possible tax credit.
**Please be advised that youth must be approved to participate in the New York Youth Jobs Program. Youth not approved to participate are ineligible to be claimed as a tax credit. Please do not confirm the hires of youth who are not certified to participate in the New York Youth Jobs Program. Learn more about how youth can get approved to participate.