The Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee (JATC) for General Building Laborers, Local Union #66, will conduct a recruitment from July 6, 2022 through July 3, 2023 for 20 Skilled Construction Craft Laborer apprentices, the New York State Department of Labor announced today.
Applications must be completed, in person only, at General Building Laborers, Local Union #66, 1600 Walt Whitman Road, Melville, NY, from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. every Monday and Wednesday, excluding legal holidays, during the recruitment period. All applications must be received no later than July 3, 2023.
The Committee requires that applicants:
- Must be at least 18 years old. Proof will be required after selection and prior to enrollment in apprenticeship.
- Must have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma (such as TASC or GED). Proof will be required after selection and prior to enrollment in apprenticeship.
- Must take and pass a drug test, at the applicant’s expense, after selection and prior to enrollment in apprenticeship.
- Must sign an affidavit stating that they are physically able to perform the work of a Skilled Construction Craft Laborer, which may include:
- Lifting and carrying an aggregate of approximately 94 pounds, for 25 feet, and restacking it to a height of approximately 54 inches.
- Loading approximately half of a cubic yard of material with a shovel into a wheelbarrow, wheeling it 30 feet, and depositing it into a container.
- Working at heights of 10 feet or higher.
- Working in confined spaces.
- Must have reliable means of transportation to and from various jobsites and required classes at the approved school.
- Must have a valid New York State driver’s license. Apprentices may be required to drive company vehicles. Proof will be required after selection and prior to enrollment in apprenticeship.
- Must take and pass an assessment written examination (includes Math, Measurement & Reading).
- Must reside within the jurisdiction of Local Union #66 for at least six months prior to application. This includes Nassau and Suffolk counties.
- Must become a union member if accepted into the apprenticeship program.
For further information, applicants should contact JATC for General Building Laborers, Local Union #66 at (631) 454-2330. Additional job search assistance can be obtained at your local New York State Department of Labor Career Center (see: dol.ny.gov/career-centers).
Apprentice programs registered with the Department of Labor must meet standards established by the Commissioner. Under state law, sponsors of programs cannot discriminate against applicants because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or marital status. Women and minorities are encouraged to submit applications for apprenticeship programs. Sponsors of programs are required to adopt affirmative action plans for the recruitment of women and minorities.