The Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee for the High Rise Concrete Carpenters of New York City will conduct a recruitment from February 10, 2021 through November 10, 2021 for 100 Carpenter apprentices, the New York State Department of Labor announced today.
Applications must be obtained in person at the New York City District Council of Carpenters (NYCDCC) Training Center, 395 Hudson Street (Clarkson Street entrance), New York, NY, on the second Wednesday of each month, during the recruitment period. Applications will be available from 7:00 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. The Carpenter Training Center will give out as many applications as possible between this time period on the designated days. There will be no admittance after 7:30 a.m. Only the applicant will be allowed to obtain an application. To receive an application, applicants must provide government-issued picture identification.
Completed original applications must be submitted by mail to NYCDCC Training Center, 395 Hudson Street, 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10014. All applications must be completed correctly and postmarked no later than five business days from the date that the application was provided. Failure to comply will disqualify the individual from further consideration.
Applicants that comply with the previous application steps will receive a confirmation letter and will remain on file until demand for apprentices is anticipated. Once apprentices are needed, selected applicants will be notified, by mail, to attend an initial orientation. Applicants that do not arrive on time to the initial four-hour orientation will be disqualified from further consideration. At the end of the orientation, applicants will be scheduled for an interview at a future date and will be provided with an instruction sheet and a list of original documents that will be required if they are accepted into the program. Applicants that do not arrive on time to their scheduled interview will be disqualified from further consideration.
The Committee requires that applicants:
- Must be at least 17 years old at the time of application.
- Must have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma (such as TASC or GED). Proof will be required after selection and prior to enrollment in apprenticeship.
- Must be physically able to perform the work of the trade without posing a direct threat to the safety of themselves or others.
- Must pass a substance abuse screening, at the expense of the sponsor, within 48 hours of selection and prior to enrollment in apprenticeship. Applicants that do not pass the substance abuse screening will be notified and disqualified from further consideration.
- Must provide proof of any trade-related experience, certification, or education, after selection and prior to enrollment in apprenticeship.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or have the legal right to work in the United States. Proof will be required after selection and prior to enrollment to apprenticeship.
- Must provide DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, if applicable, after selection and prior to enrollment in apprenticeship.
For further information, applicants should contact High Rise Concrete Carpenters of New York City at (212) 727-2224. Additional job search assistance can be obtained at your local New York State Department of Labor Career Center (see: dol.ny.gov/career-centers).
Apprentice programs registered with the Department of Labor must meet standards established by the Commissioner. Under state law, sponsors of programs cannot discriminate against applicants because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or marital status. Women and minorities are encouraged to submit applications for apprenticeship programs. Sponsors of programs are required to adopt affirmative action plans for the recruitment of women and minorities.